Healthy Cities Illawarra bases its work on the World Health Organisation definition of health which is "a complete state of physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." World Health Organisation Constitution. Geneva, 1948.
We promote and support actions to establish social, economic and physical environments conducive to good health and well being. We share in the development of local policy to effect change. In our work, the needs of disadvantaged people are especially recognised.
What We Value and Support:
- Diversity of people
- Biodiversity of Australian flora and fauna
- Every individual's right and responsibility to participate in creating better health in their community
- Every individual's equal right to his or her optimum level of health
- Cooperative relationships that create positive change
- Partnerships with Indigenous Australians contributing to achieving better health and reconciliation
We will take action to improve the health of the people of the Illawarra and Shoalhaven by:
- Working together co-operatively
- Supporting community action
- Developing personal skills and worth
- Ensuring effective health
- Protecting and enhancing the physical environment
- Recognising the right of the individual to work and contribute